Threats to badgers
Badgers in the UK are threatened by both legal and illegal activities. Legal activities, subject to compliance with conditions in the 1992 Act, include:
• road and housing development;
• forestry and agricultural operations;
• badger culling by the Ministry of Agriculture in relation to bovine TB in cattle;
• sett-stopping by fox hunts.
Illegal threats to badgers include:
• badger-digging and baiting;
• poisoning (including the misuse of pesticides);
• sett interference.
A sett after it has been 'crowned down'
by badger diggers.